Nov 7, 2006
Technology Schools Columnist
Despite what you may have heard, the MCSE, or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, is a certification that still packs a heavy punch. According to a survey by Certification Magazine, 80% of those polled said that the MCSE had a definite impact on their raise in salary. Earning this credential is proof that you are capable of solving complex technological issues using one of the more popular platforms on the computer market today.
Approaching the MCSE CertificationConsidering that MCSE is the most advanced and demanding level of Microsoft certification available, here's what you need to prepare for the exam:
- Test Fees: The entire process of certification will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000, including books and exam costs.
- Prep Materials: Your local bookstore will have the latest workbooks and practice exams for your preparation.
- Online Freebies: Many web sites offer free sample tests and assessment generators after you establish a profile.
MCSE through Distance LearningKeep in mind that if you are considering taking prep classes, the costs could raise another $10,000. Distance learning programs are less expensive alternatives that provide good results. Other benefits of distance learning are:
- Classes on Your Time: You can work your way through training modules whenever your schedule will allow.
- Direct Access: Your MCSE distance learning program will provide you with a network of support professionals to answer questions.
- Financial Aid: Many distance learning programs will allow you to finance the cost of your training.
Ask your employer what an MCSE certification would do for your career. If the boss deems it as a value for the company, she might even pay for your training, but you'll never know if you don't ask.
About the Author
Kelly Richardson covers the local education and technology scenes in major cities across the country. His articles appear educational journals, periodicals, and e-zines.